Perhaps, the only infallible way to succeed in CAT exam is to possess and execute robust time management skill, as it strictly follows the universal law of success. This is why most of the people who have achieved incredible success possess this virtue as a common skill. The only precaution needed to be taken is to set feasible targets and believe in law of average. Time management refers to strategies which support successful executing of behaviors required to effectively achieve goals. Thus, time management aims to maximize individual productivity. Time itself cannot be “managed”, but an individual can manage him/herself and the way that s/he deals with time. Time management strategies include planning and prioritizing, allocating time, setting goals, monitoring time usage, and self-organization of one’s time particularly with regard to performance of multiple tasks within a certain time period. Ineffective time management affects productivity in the workplace and has detrimental consequences on individual’s private lives.
ABC analysis is globally followed as tool for time management
This is one such technique that has been globally used particularly in business management for a long time is the categorization of large data into groups. These groups are often marked A, B, and C—hence the name. Activities are ranked by these general criteria:
- A – Tasks that are perceived as being urgent and important,
- B – Tasks that are important but not urgent,
- C – Tasks that are unimportant. (whether urgent or not)
Though it seems very simple yet what it can produce is amazing, provided one develops the qualities of persistence and sacrifice. Another very effective tool is called POSEC.
POSEC is an acronym for “Prioritize by Organizing, Streamlining, Economizing and Contributing”. The method dictates a template which emphasizes an average individual’s immediate sense of emotional and monetary security. It suggests that by attending to one’s personal responsibilities first, an individual is better positioned to shoulder collective responsibilities.
- Prioritize – Your time and define your life by goals.
- Organize – Things you have to accomplish regularly to be successful (family and finances).
- Streamline – Things you may not like to do, but must do (work and chores).
- Economize – Things you should do or may even like to do, but they’re not pressingly urgent (pastimes and socializing).
- Contribute – By paying attention to the few remaining things that make a difference (social obligations).
- Sense of Purpose- This is the fundamental requirement to have required will power or burning desire.
- Structured Routine- In order to execute and have great consistency one is required to be pragmatic hence the routine has to be well structured.
- Present Orientation— The more you believe in your ability the easier your goal becomes.
- Effective Organisation— This too is highly helpful in deciding whether you will succeed or not.
- Persistence— Finally, whatever you have planned, how well structured your routine be you are bound to face obstacles and negativity discouragement , however only great degree of persistence has the potential to help you overcoming all these hurdles.